Survey Manager - Multiple Locations
About the job
The Survey Chief is responsible for representing Cook, Flatt, and Strobel Engineers, P.A. (“CFSE”) in a professional manner to the field and community. This position is also responsible for the completion of surveys to assist with architectural and engineering projects.
There are openings in the Kansas City, Missouri / Springfield, Missouri and Lawrence, Kansas locations.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Oversees field survey crew engaged in making plane and/or geodetic surveys for construction, topographic, right-of-way, control survey projects and mapping.
• Gathers and performs field survey activities through use of surveying and mapping methods.
• Sets up, adjusts, and operates surveying equipment, including but not limited to, electronic total station, data collector, and GPS equipment, in order to measure distances, elevations, and angles.
• Prepares field notes and drawings.
• Performs complex surveying and mapping calculations using advanced calculators and/or graphic and coordinate geometry software, such as AutoCad-Softdesk, MicroStation, etc.
• Analyzes raw data for mathematical closure and geometric accuracy.
• Provides survey and mapping information for Geographic Information System (GIS).
• Prepares finished grade sheets, topographic maps, records of survey, corner records, and other survey reports.
• Researches existing record information, including record maps, plans, deeds, easements, and right-of-way documents; and maintains field data records, survey project files, and indexing systems.
• Performs all additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Occasionally sit;
• Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
• Ability to work outside for a full work day;
• Read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone;
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds;
• Occasionally travel; and
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
• Outdoor and indoor work environments; and
• Interaction with staff and customers.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their Supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalent.
A minimum of five (5) years of experience and one (1) year party chief experience in residential, commercial, ALTA surveys, topographic surveys, route surveys, and highway construction staking, and supervisory experience overseeing and training a Field Survey Crew.
Wide range of experience in topographic/boundary survey and construction layout.
Familiarity with operation of survey instruments including electronic total station, auto and digital levels, GPS equipment, robotics, 3D laser scanner, and data collectors.
Knowledge of surveying principles and practices; engineering design and construction practices.
Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, MicroStation/GeoPAK, and Trimble Access and Business Center software a plus.
Must possess a valid driver’s license, and have a clean driving record.
Ability to think critically and use logic and reasoning to identify alternative solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems.
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Ability to work efficiently with attention to detail and quality of work produced.
Ability to prepare reports with accurate mathematical data and graphs.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to make decisions while exhibiting sound and accurate judgment.
Ability to set goals and objectives with the motivation to overcome challenging obstacles.
Completes a daily timesheet reflecting the hours worked on specific projects.
Occasionally works overtime to meet demands.
Dependable and punctual.
Employment is contingent upon acceptable completion of substance abuse screening and criminal background checks.
Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
Disability and Life Insurance
Paid Time Off
CFS Engineers provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.